The Nemaha United Methodist Church serves the town of Nemaha and surrounding community.
This brick structure opened on May 8, 1921. It was built in the Mission/Akron Style and is still being used.
Our Pastor is Rev. David Schumann. More information on our paster can be found in the
Laurie Schmidt is our Lay Leader. Russ Davis is Administrative-Board Chairman. Jackie Wedeking is Pastor/Parish Relations Chairman.
NEW NORTHWEST DISTRICT
Beginning on July 1, 2007, the Early United Methodist Church became a part of the Northwest District.
DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENT OF NORTHWEST IOWA
< < REV. BERNIE COLORADO will continue to be our District Superintendent and will be residing in Storm Lake.
The address for the Northwest District office is 1206 W. 4th St., Storm Lake, IA 50588.
BISHOP – IOWA AREA OF THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The Jurisdictional Committee on the Episcopacy has assigned Bishop Julius Calvin Trimble to the Iowa Area of the church. He will serve as the spiritual leader of the state’s 192,000 United Methodists beginning September 1, 2008.
Bishop Trimble succeeds Bishop Gregory Palmer, who has been the Resident Bishop of the Iowa area since 2000. Bishop Palmer was assigned by the Committee on the Episcopacy to the Illinois Great Rivers Annual Conference.
BISHOP TRIMBLE > >
NORTHWEST DISTRICT FIELD OUTREACH MINISTER
< < < SARAH KITTERMAN STEVENS
The new Field Outreach Minister named for the Northwest District is Sarah Kitterman Stevens. She graduated from Morningside College and later Claremont Graduate University where she was awarded a Masters of Religion with a focus on Women’s Studies in Religion. Recently she has been the Project FAITH Coordinator for the Council on Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence. A member of Grace UMC in Sioux City, Sarah has also been Chair of worship planning for the Annual Conference Session. She will be a partner in the Northwest District ministry team with the Rev. Bernie Colorado, District Superintendent.
District Administrative Secretary
JUDI CALHOON > > >
Methodists Move Regional Office to Storm Lake 2007
Rev. Bernabe M. (Bernie) Colorado, 57, former superintendent of the Sioux City District, has been named District Superintendent of the Northwest District of the Iowa Conference of the United Methodist Church.
Storm Lake will be the hub of the new Northwest District, which was formed with the consolidation of 12 districts to eight in the UMC Iowa Conference, effective July 1.
Offices of the Northwest District are on the second floor of the old Methodist manor building at 1206 W. Fourth St. A new parsonage is under construction for the district superintendent at 712 Prairie Lane in Storm Lake. It’s expected to be completed in August.
The newly formed Northwest District combines the former Spencer and Sioux City districts, headquartered in those cities. For the past year Colorado has been the district superintendent for the Sioux City District, which was eliminated by the recent consolidation.
Judi Calhoon, formerly district administrative secretary for the Spencer District, will hold the same position for the Northwest District. Sarah Kitterman Stevens, of Sioux City, has been named as the outreach minister for the Northwest District. The new Northwest District governs more than 100 churches in 16 counties.
Nemaha Church Community
The first meeting of a religious nature was held by the Presbyterians. The only churches in Delaware Township were at Nemaha, the Methodist and Presbyterian. The Presbyterian Church was built in the early history of the town by George Myott about 1900. It was located on Birch Street, one block south of Main Street. In 1918 it was torn down and a home built on the lot.
In July of 1889 a church was built two miles northwest of Nemaha on the Luff Farm. The Bethel Church became part of the Sulphur Springs Circuit and remained so until 1900.
In 1900 it was decided to move the church to Nemaha. Later a tower and an extra room were added in 1906. A parsonage was purchased just north of the church which included the house and barn.
NOTE: These two pictures are not of the same building. It is unclear what year they were taken.
Nemaha United Methodist Church History
The church was first incorporated as First Methodist Episcopal Church on April 17, 1919. Also in 1919 it became necessary to build a new church. The new brick structure opened on May 8, 1921 and still serves the community today.
The Nemaha United Methodist Church held its 75th Anniversary on October 14, 1962 with special speakers and music. The 100-year celebration was June 28 and 29th, 1986 with many activities that overflowed into the neighboring park.
There have been several improvements to the structure yet the original building is still much as it looked when it was first built.
A full story of the listing of ministers, the activities mentioned above, and the physical improvements can be read in the Nemaha Centennial book.